Re: Grammars, Ambiguous, ASN.1

Robin Edgar Hansen <robin.hansen@irisa.fr>
27 Jun 1999 00:01:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Grammars, Ambiguous, ASN.1 sge@acm.org (1999-06-19)
Re: Grammars, Ambiguous, ASN.1 dmitrik@my-deja.com (Dmitri Katchalov) (1999-06-27)
Re: Grammars, Ambiguous, ASN.1 rsi@lucent.com (Rajappa Iyer) (1999-06-27)
Re: Grammars, Ambiguous, ASN.1 robin.hansen@irisa.fr (Robin Edgar Hansen) (1999-06-27)
Re: Grammars, Ambiguous, ASN.1 Christian.Rinderknecht@int-evry.fr (Christian Rinderknecht) (1999-06-29)
Re: Grammars, Ambiguous, ASN.1 Christian.Rinderknecht@int-evry.fr (Christian Rinderknecht) (1999-07-01)
Re: Grammars, Ambiguous, ASN.1 sge@acm.org (1999-07-05)
Re: Grammars, Ambiguous, ASN.1 elgey@dstc.qut.edu.au (Geoff Elgey) (1999-07-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robin Edgar Hansen <robin.hansen@irisa.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Jun 1999 00:01:45 -0400

> 1. Does anyone know of an extremely reliable electronic copy of the
> grammar in raw EBNF? I'm typing it in by comparing a copy of
> X.208 and some yacc source I've unearthed.

A couple of years ago I did the very same. I used X.208 and a book from
"Technology Appraisals" - can't think of the title now. It was not too
bad. I used yacc++ (Which compiler compiler are you using?)

> 2. What's the best primer for grammar disambiguation? I can borrow
> the dragon book (Aho & Ullman) and/or the moderator's lex & yacc
> text very quickly. Should I order something else?

Left-factoring should do most of it. The value part is a bit nasty,
though.

> 3. What other advice do the readers of this newsgroup have to offer
> me?

Beware that X.208 is outdated by X.680 (and X.681 etc)

Regards,

Robin