compiling for mips environment

"simon" <simon@gatecrashers.com>
27 Jun 1999 00:00:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiling for mips environment simon@gatecrashers.com (simon) (1999-06-27)
Re: compiling for mips environment zalman@netcom15.netcom.com (Zalman Stern) (1999-06-29)
Re: compiling for mips environment jejones@microware.com (James Jones) (1999-06-29)
Re: compiling for mips environment chrisd@reservoir.com (Chris Dodd) (1999-06-29)
Re: compiling for mips environment postiffm@umich.edu (Matt Postiff) (1999-07-01)
Re: compiling for mips environment meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1999-07-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "simon" <simon@gatecrashers.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Jun 1999 00:00:36 -0400

Greetings,

I wonder if someone can help me with design problem I have compiling
Java bytecode into mips R3000 environment.

It seems stack usage convention for mips in C environment dictate
caller reserve space in stack for routine to save arguments a0..a3 if
it needs to.

I don't understand this convention, is this standard for risc
architecture?

I have decided to follow register usage convention which gives me
"temp" registers and "saved" registers, saved ones are preserved
across function calls.

This seems an OK convention but I can't get a grip on why parameters>4
are pushed on the stack with so many registers spare.

I have only one text, "Farquhar & Bunce", and can't find any relevant
documents online,

Greatful for any pointers/ explanations...

Simon Armstrong
[It's pretty standard. Most routines don't have more than four arguments,
so it'd be counterproductive to reserve argument registers that won't
be used, -John]