Re: GLR Parsing Generator

adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (A Johnstone)
15 Jun 1999 23:47:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GLR Parsing Generator puehler@uni-koblenz.de (Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=FChler?=) (1999-06-06)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator dwight@pentasoft.com (1999-06-12)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1999-06-12)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator bromage@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1999-06-12)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1999-06-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (A Johnstone)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c++
Date: 15 Jun 1999 23:47:35 -0400

Chris F Clark (cfc@world.std.com) wrote:

: Nigel Horspool also has a paper mentioning a
: GLR implmentation.

See `Faster generalised LR parsing' by John Aycock and Nigel Horspool,
Proc 8th Compiler conference, Amsterdam, 1999 Lecture Notes in
Computer Science vol 1575. When I chatted to Nigel and John in
Amsterdam they didn't claim that there parser was well developed
enough to be a genealised parser generator but I might be
misrepresenting them.

: The ASF+SDF tools appear to be GLR based also. (Jan Rekers et. al. at
: CWI(?))

That's correct. ASF+SDF is available via the net with free licenses
for academic use and there are a variety of papers, including a couple
in the above proceedings. ASF+SDF is a production system but might
require a little sophistication when it comes to defining semantics
for your parser. Mark van den Brand is very helpful.

: (I don't recall whether RDP does predicated parsing or not, but it may be
: a 4th candidate.)

Sadly not (I'm the author) but there is a generalised parser generator
called GRDP which uses recursive descent and so only likes non-left
recursive grammars (you can convert to GNF to run your favourite
grammar). It's a bit experimental. You can find about GRDP on our Web
pages, and we also have a page all about backtrack parsers (predicated
and otherwise) that might give you some hints.

See: http://www.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk/research/languages

                                                                        Adrian
--
Dr Adrian Johnstone, Senior Lecturer in Computing, Computer Science Dep,
Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.