Re: GLR Parsing Generator (A Johnstone)
15 Jun 1999 23:47:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GLR Parsing Generator (Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=FChler?=) (1999-06-06)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator (1999-06-12)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator (Chris F Clark) (1999-06-12)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator (1999-06-12)
Re: GLR Parsing Generator (1999-06-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (A Johnstone)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c++
Date: 15 Jun 1999 23:47:35 -0400

Chris F Clark ( wrote:

: Nigel Horspool also has a paper mentioning a
: GLR implmentation.

See `Faster generalised LR parsing' by John Aycock and Nigel Horspool,
Proc 8th Compiler conference, Amsterdam, 1999 Lecture Notes in
Computer Science vol 1575. When I chatted to Nigel and John in
Amsterdam they didn't claim that there parser was well developed
enough to be a genealised parser generator but I might be
misrepresenting them.

: The ASF+SDF tools appear to be GLR based also. (Jan Rekers et. al. at
: CWI(?))

That's correct. ASF+SDF is available via the net with free licenses
for academic use and there are a variety of papers, including a couple
in the above proceedings. ASF+SDF is a production system but might
require a little sophistication when it comes to defining semantics
for your parser. Mark van den Brand is very helpful.

: (I don't recall whether RDP does predicated parsing or not, but it may be
: a 4th candidate.)

Sadly not (I'm the author) but there is a generalised parser generator
called GRDP which uses recursive descent and so only likes non-left
recursive grammars (you can convert to GNF to run your favourite
grammar). It's a bit experimental. You can find about GRDP on our Web
pages, and we also have a page all about backtrack parsers (predicated
and otherwise) that might give you some hints.

Dr Adrian Johnstone, Senior Lecturer in Computing, Computer Science Dep,
Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
Email Tel:+44(0)1784 443425 Fax:+44(0)1784 439786