Re: Dynamic Memory Allocation Analysis

gneuner@dyn.com (George Neuner)
3 Jun 1999 02:23:17 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Dynamic Memory Allocation Analysis marcoxa@parades.rm.cnr.it (Marco Antoniotti) (1999-05-29)
Re: Dynamic Memory Allocation Analysis lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu.STOPSPAM (Lars Clausen) (1999-06-02)
Re: Dynamic Memory Allocation Analysis ast@halcyon.com (1999-06-02)
Re: Dynamic Memory Allocation Analysis torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Mogensen) (1999-06-02)
Re: Dynamic Memory Allocation Analysis marcoxa@copernico.parades.rm.cnr.it (Marco Antoniotti) (1999-06-02)
Re: Dynamic Memory Allocation Analysis gneuner@dyn.com (1999-06-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gneuner@dyn.com (George Neuner)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Jun 1999 02:23:17 -0400

On 29 May 1999 01:07:30 -0400, Marco Antoniotti
<marcoxa@parades.rm.cnr.it> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Could anybody point to work done on static (source level or lower)
>analysis of dynamic heap allocation.
>
>This is for a small study on GC profiling and most of the literature
>pointers I found is either about (1) GC algorithms, or (2) simulation
>based benchmarks of various GC schemes.

Here are a number of good (though esoteric) papers on static analysis
of heap allocation that focus on lifetime determination and source
transformations to explicitly handle (de)allocation in systems that
are normally GC'd.

"Implementation of the Typed Call-by-Value Lambda Calculus using
a Stack of Regions", Tofte & Talpin, ACM POPL, 1994.

"Better Static Memory Management: Improving Region-Based Analysis
of Higher Order Languages", Aiken, Fahndrich & Levien,
ACM SIGPLAN '95.

"Experiences with Compiler-Directed Storage Reclamation",
James Hicks, ACM FPCA '93.

I haven't completely deciphered the first two yet, but their aim is to
eventually replace GC entirely with explicit deallocation.

George Neuner
Dynamic Resolutions, Inc.