Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project

Torben Mogensen <torbenm@diku.dk>
2 Jun 1999 10:30:53 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project stefan@bach.informatik.uni-ulm.de (Stefan Sarstedt) (1999-05-20)
Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project will@ccs.neu.edu (William D Clinger) (1999-05-27)
Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project see@my.sig (Matthias Blume) (1999-06-02)
Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project march@bilix.cs.uoregon.edu (1999-06-02)
Re: Help: Appel's "Modern compiler implementation ..." project torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Mogensen) (1999-06-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Torben Mogensen <torbenm@diku.dk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jun 1999 10:30:53 -0400

Stefan Sarstedt (stefan@bach.informatik.uni-ulm.de) wrote:

> Has anybody done an implementation of Appel's Compiler project (from
> his book "Modern compiler implementation in C/Java") for Sparc of
> Intel maschines?

> We'd also appreciate any experiences you've probably made using
> Appel's project in a compiler construction course.

At our 2nd year compiler/architecture course last year we used parts
of Appels Tiger compiler but replaced the Tiger language with a much
smaller language. We also let the students design their own target
machine (which they then built a simulator for in the architecture
part of the course). It, however, turned out that the students used
far too much time learning the interfaces to the compiler modules
(especially the Frame module), so we are going to use a simpler (and
less flexible) system this year.

Torben Mogensen (torbenm@diku.dk)