Re: Distributivity and types

jonathan_barker@my-deja.com
29 May 1999 01:09:11 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Distributivity and types sanjayp@ddi.com (Sanjay Pujare) (1999-05-22)
Re: Distributivity and types wclodius@aol.com (1999-05-22)
Re: Distributivity and types adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1999-05-27)
Re: Distributivity and types anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1999-05-27)
Re: Distributivity and types adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1999-05-29)
Re: Distributivity and types jonathan_barker@my-deja.com (1999-05-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jonathan_barker@my-deja.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 May 1999 01:09:11 -0400

    anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) wrote:

> Only if overflows trap. If, OTOH, you use modulo (aka wrap-around)
> arithmetic, this law holds (as do many others, because the cardinal
> numbers modulo 2^N are a field; two's complement numbers are just a
> different interpretation, the operations + and * are the same as for
> unsigned numbers) and you will get the correct answer.

A minor (if slightly off-topic) point: The integers modulo 2^N are
definitely not a field unless N=1. In general, the integers mod d
form a field if and only if d is prime. However, the integers mod d
always form a ring under + and *. I assume this is what you meant.

[An example reveals that the integers mod 4 do not form a field
under + and *.

2 * 0 = 0 (mod 4)
2 * 1 = 2 (mod 4)
2 * 2 = 0 (mod 4)
2 * 3 = 2 (mod 4)

Therefore there is no multiplicative inverse of 2.]

Jonathan