Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things

bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Bart Demoen)
21 May 1999 02:26:12 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Using Prolog to Compile Things nickroberts@callnetuk.com (Nick Roberts) (1999-05-16)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things gsg@mimuw.edu.pl (1999-05-20)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1999-05-21)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (1999-05-21)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1999-05-22)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things gkt37@dial.pipex.com (JT) (1999-05-22)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things Daniel.Diaz@inria.fr (1999-05-22)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (1999-05-27)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things bromage@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1999-05-27)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things hunk@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (1999-06-02)

From: bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Bart Demoen)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 May 1999 02:26:12 -0400

Grzegorz Grudzinski wrote

> Nick Roberts <nickroberts@callnetuk.com> pisze:
> >Has anyone on this ng experience or knowledge of the use of Prolog to
> >implement a native-code compiler for a typical high-level imperative
> >language?
> This issue (code selection and optimization) was discussed in a paper
> published in PLILP proceedings a few years ago, IIRC. I do not have the
> reference handy, if you want me to look for it, please write me an email, I
> do not read this group too frequently.

I suppose he means:

PLILP'91 LNCS 528 "Optimal instructioin scheduling Using
                Constraint Logic Programming" by M. Ertl and A. Krall

CLP and Prolog are not really the same thing, as some good
Prolog systems offer good constraint solvers.

I guess most compilers for Prolog are written in Prolog. Whether they use
Prolog's natural search mechanism for generating optimal code, I doubt.
Usually, you want the search a bit more directed.

Bart Demoen