Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ?

Anders Holtsberg <andersh@maths.lth.se>
3 May 1999 14:44:50 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? prinz@c2i.net (XlatB) (1999-04-09)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Mogensen) (1999-04-18)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? whitten@netcom.com (David Whitten) (1999-04-18)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? mallors@ips1.msfc.nasa.gov (1999-04-19)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? bill@megahits.com (Bill A.) (1999-04-22)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? andersh@maths.lth.se (Anders Holtsberg) (1999-05-03)
Re: Jack W. Crenshaw - Any clues how to optimize ? mikee@cetasoft.cog (1999-05-07)
Parsing != (either 'recursive descent' or 'operator precedence') hunk@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (1999-05-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Anders Holtsberg <andersh@maths.lth.se>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 May 1999 14:44:50 -0400

> > I am working on simple compiler (currently only a "basic" to x86 asm
> > converter). It is based on the model by Jack W. Crenshaw. (Author of
> > "Let's build a compiler" or something very similar). I am having
> > problems to accept the inefficiency on the expression calculations.

I felt I saw the light when I read Hansons book "The design and
implementation of a retargetable C-compiler" (or something
similar). The expression parser is shockingly short and simple since
it is table driven by operator precedance. The shorter and simpler
the code the easier it is to modify and tweek it. Read that chapter of
his book. (Or am I saying something stupid here: for me "recursive
decent" and "operator precedance" is mutually exclusive. Correct???)

Best wishes

-- Anders Holtsberg
Anders Holtsberg Matematisk statistik Telefon 046-2224953
andersh@maths.lth.se Matematikcentrum Fax 046-2224998
www.maths.lth.se Lunds universitet Box 118, 221 00 Lund