Re: Linking time

gopi@sankhya.com
21 Apr 1999 01:39:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Linking time sanjay_jha@email.msn.com (Sanjay Jha) (1999-04-18)
Re: Linking time dwight@pentasoft.com (1999-04-19)
Re: Linking time mikey@sparcbert.mlee.ontek.com (1999-04-20)
Re: Linking time zalman@netcom.com (1999-04-21)
Re: Linking time gopi@sankhya.com (1999-04-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gopi@sankhya.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Apr 1999 01:39:55 -0400

    "Sanjay Jha" <sanjay_jha@email.msn.com> wrote:
> I have a 100MB static library that I need to link to. Though my exe
> uses only a few of the classes from the library, the sheer size of the
> library makes the link time as high as 30 minutes on my NT desktop. Is
> there any way I can reduce this link time. I do have the source code
> for the library and can actually build it myself. Though I can build

One possibility is that the size of the symbol table (of external
symbols in the library) is very large and takes up a lot of memory
resulting in thrashing. This can easily lead to large link-times. You
can bring up the task manager and monitor the amount of memory taken
up by the linker to confirm this.

Regards,
gopi
---