Re: debugging

David Whitten <whitten@netcom.com>
28 Mar 1999 16:56:28 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
debugging david.urting@student.kuleuven.ac.be (David Urting) (1999-03-23)
Re: debugging ast@halcyon.com (1999-03-28)
Re: debugging kadhim@lucent.com (Basim Kadhim) (1999-03-28)
Re: debugging whitten@netcom.com (David Whitten) (1999-03-28)
Re: debugging rrehberg@cyrenesoft.com (Robert Rehberg) (1999-03-28)
Re: debugging nr@labrador.cs.virginia.edu (Norman Ramsey) (1999-04-01)
Re: debugging pscion@my-dejanews.com (1999-04-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David Whitten <whitten@netcom.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Mar 1999 16:56:28 -0500

David Urting <david.urting@student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
: Can anyone help me to find general and detailed information about
: debugging.

It is very difficult to help you if we have no idea what language
or system you are planning to to debug.

For example, if you plan to debug MUMPS (DSM) the relevant commands
are:

SET $ZWATCH="local variablename" to set a watchpoint
SET $ZBREAK="LABEL+OFFSET^ROUTINE:COMMANDNUMBER>BREAK ACTION CODE"
ZQUIT in the BREAK ACTION CODE will effectively 'ignore' the break point.
ZWRITE is usefule to look at the local variables.
ZDEBUG ON will enable breakpoints flagged by $ZBREAK, the BREAK command,
and the BREAK Interrupt character.

If you are using GDB and GNAT (Ada)
there are good web pages at
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/seas/eecs/Research/ada/gnat-docs/index.html

that can give you a start.

There is information about debugging with Code Warrior on a Macintosh
at http://cadlab.mit.edu/help/cw4doc/CodeWarrior
Documentation/HTML/Target_Mac_OS_html/

Note the embedded space in that URL.

Of course if you had said you were debugging gcc or a real time
controller, my answers would have been different.

A good hour with a search engine will probably yield more than enough
information for your needs.