x86 register allocation

dplass@yahoo.com
23 Mar 1999 12:34:27 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
x86 register allocation dplass@yahoo.com (1999-03-23)
Re: x86 register allocation dwight@pentasoft.com (1999-03-28)
Re: x86 register allocation rsherry@home.com (Robert Sherry) (1999-03-28)
x86 register allocation postiffm@umich.edu (Matt Postiff) (1999-03-28)
Re: x86 register allocation bcombee@metrowerks.com (1999-03-28)
Re: x86 register allocation sander@haldjas.folklore.ee (Sander Vesik) (1999-03-28)
Re: x86 register allocation cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles E. Bortle, Jr.) (1999-03-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dplass@yahoo.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Mar 1999 12:34:27 -0500

Can anyone give me a pointer to help me with x86 register allocation?
That wonderful Intel processor family has such register-specific instructions
(e.g. MUL result always goes into DX:AX) that I fear it will be difficult
to write an easy register allocation algorithm.
[On the 8086 to 286 it's a stinker since all the registers are different.
The 386 and later members of the family make the job somewhat easier due
to more complete register addressing modes. I don't know of any theory that
will help much, the graph coloring stuff is all intended for architectures
with more registers. -John]