Re: How to extract grammar from a program?

"Derek Ross" <derekross@fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk>
12 Feb 1999 02:52:12 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to extract grammar from a program? rahulj@iitk.ac.in (Rahul Jain) (1999-02-05)
Re: How to extract grammar from a program? cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1999-02-10)
Re: How to extract grammar from a program? derekross@fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk (Derek Ross) (1999-02-12)
Re: How to extract grammar from a program? eodell@pobox.com (1999-02-15)
Re: How to extract grammar from a program? dib@dera.gov.uk (David Bruce) (1999-02-15)
Re: How to extract grammar from a program? spencer@cc.gatech.edu (1999-02-15)
Re: How to extract grammar from a program? hunk@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (1999-02-15)
Re: How to extract grammar from a program? x@wins.uva.nl (1999-12-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Derek Ross" <derekross@fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Feb 1999 02:52:12 -0500

Rahul,

In principle, dictionary based compression techniques work by creating a
grammar from a body of text such as a set of programs. One recent
compression technique which might be appropriate for your needs is Sequitur
by Craig Nevill-Manning which can be used for "inferring hierarchies from
sequences". Check the website at http://dna.stanford.edu/sequitur/ for more
info, including details of the algorithm and various research papers
discussing it. There's also some C++ and Java code examples so it shouldn't
be too difficult to make use of in your own coding

Cheers

Derek