Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code

andrew@lake.com.au (Andrew Reilly)
7 Feb 1999 00:11:41 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Reverse compilation of DSP code adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1999-02-05)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code andrew@lake.com.au (1999-02-07)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code grant.griffin@iowegian.com (Grant Griffin) (1999-02-07)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code zalman@netcom.com (1999-02-07)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code guthseel@cesys.com (Peter Guthseel) (1999-02-10)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code Juergen.Kahrs@t-online.de (1999-02-10)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code nr@labrador.cs.virginia.edu (Norman Ramsey) (1999-02-10)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code m.lambertson@computer.org (Michael Lambertson) (1999-02-12)

From: andrew@lake.com.au (Andrew Reilly)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.dsp,comp.compilers.tools.pccts
Date: 7 Feb 1999 00:11:41 -0500

adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (A Johnstone) writes:
> Any pointers gratefully received. If I find out much, I'll make a Web
> page like my one on backtrack parsers.

I'd be really interested to see what you come up with, eventually, and
whether you manage to complete your project without re-coding the
algorithms in C by hand.

The reason I suspect that this will be difficult is that the fixed
point DSPs tend to have features that would make direct machine code
to C translation extremely ugly. Namely: saturating arithmetic, very
wide accumulators, circular buffers and odd condition codes, such as
nearly-overflow (for when the results reach the MSB, but have not yet
overflowed.) I don't know about the 21xx series, but you often have
DMA engines that are used to stream data on and off the chip in
parallel with the processor, and sometimes funky timing structures
based on the known, constant (and easy to calculate) cycle times of
these processors.

--
Andrew Reilly