how to increase compilation performance

"Thomas Gänshirt" <genshirt@modicon.de>
5 Feb 1999 17:27:37 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
how to increase compilation performance genshirt@modicon.de (Thomas Gänshirt) (1999-02-05)
Re: how to increase compilation performance rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1999-02-07)
Re: how to increase compilation performance cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles E. Bortle, Jr.) (1999-02-10)
Re: how to increase compilation performance cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com (Charles.E.Bortle@dfw-ixnews9.ix.netcom.com,Jr.) (1999-02-12)
Re: how to increase compilation performance stephenb@harlequin.co.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (1999-02-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Thomas Gänshirt" <genshirt@modicon.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Feb 1999 17:27:37 -0500

Hello,

I have implemented a compiler for ST/IL running on an automation
system. Now I have the job to make the compiler as fast as possible
for the case, that a programmer changes his source only "a little". An
idea was to split the source into small pages and only to rebuild the
modified and affected ones.

Does anybody of you has experience with incremental compilers? Or can
you recommend any information sources? I tried to make a design, but
it seems quite complicated to find out, which fragments of the source
have to be recompiled.

Thank you
Thomas
[Incremenatal compilation is a lot of work. We did a series of articles
on it in the JCLT a while ago. Before going down that route, I'd profile
my compiler to see what's really taking the time. -John]