Re: why use flex?

"Theodore.Papadopoulo" <Theodore.Papadopoulo@sophia.inria.fr>
5 Feb 1999 17:19:35 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
why use flex? frankhale@worldnet.att.net (Frank Hale) (1999-01-27)
Re: why use flex? irclark@latveria.castledoom.org (1999-01-31)
Re: why use flex? rkrayhawk@aol.com (1999-01-31)
Re: why use flex? tnaran@direct.ca (1999-02-01)
Re: why use flex? colas@aye.inria.fr (1999-02-03)
Re: why use flex? Marko.Makela@HUT.FI (Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?=) (1999-02-03)
Re: why use flex? tnaran@direct.ca (1999-02-05)
Re: why use flex? Theodore.Papadopoulo@sophia.inria.fr (Theodore.Papadopoulo) (1999-02-05)
Re: why use flex? Marko.Makela@HUT.FI (Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?=) (1999-02-10)
Re: why use flex? wvenable_net@iname.com (1999-02-15)
Re: why use flex? dmitrik@my-dejanews.com (Dmitri Katchalov) (1999-02-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Theodore.Papadopoulo" <Theodore.Papadopoulo@sophia.inria.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Feb 1999 17:19:35 -0500

> Travers> The only real complaint I have is the *still* lacking direct
> Travers> C++ support. If one wants that, one has to use to modified
> Travers> Flex++/Bison++ utilities.
>
> Pardon me, but what kind of C++ support would you like to expect from
> Flex and Bison? I have used Flex 2.5.4 and Bison 1.25 in two compiler
> projects, both of which are written in C++. I use the tools in the
> traditional C mode; only the semantic actions contain C++ code.

C++ forbids putting objects into unions. This makes the yylval
techniques of passing tokens values rather inadequate for C++.
Another thing that would be nice is using exceptions for error
recovery (with the hope of nice cleaning of the created objects).
--
                Theodore Papadopoulo (papadop@sophia.inria.fr)

      Projet Robotvis, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
      2004, route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex -- FRANCE
      Phone: (33) 04 92 38 76 01, Fax: (33) 04 92 38 78 45