Re: Java Compiler

Markus Kohler <>
11 Jan 1999 14:38:57 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
java compiler (Christof Simons) (2001-08-25)
Java Compiler (Iztok Prelog) (1998-12-18)
Re: Java Compiler (John Anthony Busigin) (1998-12-19)
Re: Java Compiler (Gerd Bleher) (1998-12-21)
Re: Java Compiler (Markus Kohler) (1999-01-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Markus Kohler <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jan 1999 14:38:57 -0500

Gerd Bleher <> writes:

> Iztok Prelog <> writes:
> > Does anybody know where can I find some information about java to
> > bytecode compiler (how the compiler works). I'm doing a research work
> > and I would be very greatfull for any information.
> IBM's Jikes compiler became OpenSource. I didn't read the licensing
> conditions but I assume that you'll be allowed to look at the code.

Yes you are allowed to see the source code.
Unfortunately some of the code is generated by a compiler generator
also available from the alphaworks web site. At least when I checked it
some weeks ago the source code for the compiler generator was not available
and the license was different.

> Right. There are other compilers can generate code for the JVM in the
> meantime, e.g. the Eiffel compiler from ISE.

SmallEiffel ( also generates
Java byte codes and it's free and comes with source code.

Markus Kohler