Re: Fortran to Java translator

ttlegrad@plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca (Tom Legrady)
21 Dec 1998 11:51:12 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Fortran to Java translator cwong1@cs.uiuc.edu (David Wong) (1998-12-19)
Re: Fortran to Java translator abate@brahma.ticam.utexas.edu (1998-12-21)
Re: Fortran to Java translator ttlegrad@plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca (1998-12-21)
Re: Fortran to Java translator wclodius@aol.com (1999-01-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: ttlegrad@plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca (Tom Legrady)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers.tools.javacc,comp.compilers
Date: 21 Dec 1998 11:51:12 -0500

David Wong <cwong1@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>I am going to write a Fortran 90 to Java translator and I would like
>to use JavaCC to generate the parser.

W. Kahan & Joseph Darcy point out a number of reasons why Java produces
incorrect results in intensive mathematical calculations;

see
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/JAVAhurt.pdf

or

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~darcy/JAVAhurt.pdf

Java mathematics is quite satisfactory for most applications, and
is easier to grasp than a number of other languages, thus it is fine
for ordinary applications.

But in applications where precise and correct results to complex
computations are required, Java is unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, it is
exactly those applications which are likely to be written in Fortran.

Perhaps you should consider converting Fortran to some other language for
compilation.

Tom Legrady
--
ttlegrady@plg.uwaterloo.ca (519) 888-4567 ext 4822