Re: Java Compiler

Gerd Bleher <gerdb@bstde006.bbn.hp.com>
21 Dec 1998 11:47:54 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
java compiler simonsc@uni-muenster.de (Christof Simons) (2001-08-25)
Java Compiler iztok.prelog@uni-mb.si (Iztok Prelog) (1998-12-18)
Re: Java Compiler jbusigin@nitek.com (John Anthony Busigin) (1998-12-19)
Re: Java Compiler gerdb@bstde006.bbn.hp.com (Gerd Bleher) (1998-12-21)
Re: Java Compiler markusk@bidra241.bbn.hp.com (Markus Kohler) (1999-01-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Gerd Bleher <gerdb@bstde006.bbn.hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Dec 1998 11:47:54 -0500

Iztok Prelog <iztok.prelog@uni-mb.si> writes:
> Does anybody know where can I find some information about java to
> bytecode compiler (how the compiler works). I'm doing a research work
> and I would be very greatfull for any information.

IBM's Jikes compiler became OpenSource. I didn't read the licensing
conditions but I assume that you'll be allowed to look at the code.

Alphaworks is IBM's Java related Web site:
http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com/Home/

It leads you finally to http://www.research.ibm.com/jikes/, the Java
compiler home page.

If you're just interested in the Java Virtual Machine:

  o SUN made Java 2.0 Open Source
  o KAFFE (see http://www.transvirtual.com/) is another JVM that comes
      with source code

> [As far as I know, a Java compiler is just like any other compiler.
> The output language doesn't affect the overall compiler structure very
> much. -John]

Right. There are other compilers can generate code for the JVM in the
meantime, e.g. the Eiffel compiler from ISE.

Gerd
                      / Gerd Bleher; Hewlett Packard GmbH
___________ __/ _________ http://hpbidras.bbn.hp.com/~gerdb _____