Re: Speedy compilers (Sebastiano Pilla)
18 Dec 1998 12:08:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[6 earlier articles]
Re: Speedy compilers (Andrew Fry) (1998-11-24)
Re: Speedy compilers (Robert Bernecky) (1998-11-24)
Re: Speedy compilers (1998-11-30)
Re: Speedy compilers (Janusz Szpilewski) (1998-11-30)
Re: Speedy compilers (Amit Patel) (1998-12-10)
Re: Speedy compilers (1998-12-13)
Re: Speedy compilers (1998-12-18)
Re: Speedy compilers (Jeff Jackson) (1998-12-18)
Re: Speedy compilers (1998-12-19)
[4 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Sebastiano Pilla)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Dec 1998 12:08:55 -0500

Amit Patel <> wrote:

> Joachim Durchholz <> writes:
> > The lesson still applies, but there is no fast C++ compiler on Windows
> > (not because C++ is slow but because these compilers all include
> > megabytes of Windows header files by default). I think a compiler
> > that uses precompilation in a sensible manner will blow the socks off
> > all existing C++ compilers. ...
> IBM's Visual Age C++ 4.0 compiler is supposed to solve this problem by
> treating each function (rather than each 1000 lines) separately, and
> then maintaining a dependency graph to tell it how to recompile when a
> change is made.

There is a very interesting thesis by Regis Crelier on this topic,
titled "Separate Compilation and Module Extension". Mr. Crelier presents

      "... two new models for fine-grained consistency checking and their
implementation. These models allow the interface of separately compiled
modules to be extended without requiring a recompilation of client

The implementation in the thesis is targeted to the Oberon language. I
think that most modern Oberon systems and compilers (at least those from
ETHZ) use the described techniques. A gzipped Postscript copy of the
thesis is available at

Sebastiano Pilla