Re: Speedy compilers

eclectictech@usa.net (Sebastiano Pilla)
18 Dec 1998 12:08:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Speedy compilers andrewf@slhosiery.com.au (Andrew Fry) (1998-11-24)
Re: Speedy compilers bernecky@acm.org (Robert Bernecky) (1998-11-24)
Re: Speedy compilers icedancer@ibm.net (1998-11-30)
Re: Speedy compilers janusz.szpilewski@alcatel.pl (Janusz Szpilewski) (1998-11-30)
Re: Speedy compilers amitp@theory.stanford.edu (Amit Patel) (1998-12-10)
Re: Speedy compilers mfinney@lynchburg.net (1998-12-13)
Re: Speedy compilers eclectictech@usa.net (1998-12-18)
Re: Speedy compilers zalman@netcom.com (1998-12-18)
Re: Speedy compilers Rudi.Ziegaus@bingo.baynet.de (1998-12-18)
Re: Speedy compilers jeff-news@jeff-jackson.com (Jeff Jackson) (1998-12-18)
Re: Speedy compilers albaugh@agames.com (1998-12-19)
Re: Speedy compilers terryg@uswest.net (1998-12-19)

From: eclectictech@usa.net (Sebastiano Pilla)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Dec 1998 12:08:55 -0500

Amit Patel <amitp@theory.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de> writes:
>
> > The lesson still applies, but there is no fast C++ compiler on Windows
> > (not because C++ is slow but because these compilers all include
> > megabytes of Windows header files by default). I think a compiler
> > that uses precompilation in a sensible manner will blow the socks off
> > all existing C++ compilers. ...
>
> IBM's Visual Age C++ 4.0 compiler is supposed to solve this problem by
> treating each function (rather than each 1000 lines) separately, and
> then maintaining a dependency graph to tell it how to recompile when a
> change is made.

There is a very interesting thesis by Regis Crelier on this topic,
titled "Separate Compilation and Module Extension". Mr. Crelier presents

      "... two new models for fine-grained consistency checking and their
implementation. These models allow the interface of separately compiled
modules to be extended without requiring a recompilation of client
modules."

The implementation in the thesis is targeted to the Oberon language. I
think that most modern Oberon systems and compilers (at least those from
ETHZ) use the described techniques. A gzipped Postscript copy of the
thesis is available at
<ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch//pub/publications/dissertations/th10650.ps.gz>

Regards
Sebastiano Pilla