Re: Speedy compilers

Robert Bernecky <bernecky@acm.org>
24 Nov 1998 22:24:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Speedy compilers abbottk@earthlink.net (Kirk Abbott) (1998-11-06)
Re: Speedy compilers janusz.szpilewski@alcatel.pl (Janusz Szpilewski) (1998-11-15)
Re: Speedy compilers mwolfe@pgroup.com (1998-11-19)
Re: Speedy compilers jcrens@magicnet.net (Jack W. Crenshaw) (1998-11-19)
Re: Speedy compilers toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) (1998-11-21)
Re: Speedy compilers joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-11-24)
Re: Speedy compilers andrewf@slhosiery.com.au (Andrew Fry) (1998-11-24)
Re: Speedy compilers bernecky@acm.org (Robert Bernecky) (1998-11-24)
Re: Speedy compilers icedancer@ibm.net (1998-11-30)
Re: Speedy compilers janusz.szpilewski@alcatel.pl (Janusz Szpilewski) (1998-11-30)
Re: Speedy compilers amitp@theory.stanford.edu (Amit Patel) (1998-12-10)
Re: Speedy compilers mfinney@lynchburg.net (1998-12-13)
Re: Speedy compilers eclectictech@usa.net (1998-12-18)
Re: Speedy compilers zalman@netcom.com (1998-12-18)

From: Robert Bernecky <bernecky@acm.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Nov 1998 22:24:48 -0500

John-the-overseer wrote:

> [The original Fortran compiler did extensive optimization (even by
> current standards) and was slow. They added a switch to skip most of
> the optimization and compile faster, and to their surprise everyone
> used it all the time, since even then most compiles were for
> development and debugging, not for production. Perhaps it's time to
> relearn this 40 year old lesson. -John]

Let me give an example of what "slow" meant. A distillation column
model that was about 3000 lines (of which many were comments) took
over a half hour for an optimized compile on a dedicated very large
mainframe of the day with the IBM Fortran H compiler. This compiler
was, to my understanding, the state of the art at that time (late
1960's).
Bob
[Wow. Fortran H was indeed the state of the art in optimizing compilers
for many years, but I never found it all that slow. On the other hand,
I was working on a 360/91 which was pretty zippy. -John]