Re: JLex (and JavaCUP) lookup table too large

aduncan <aduncan@cs.ucsb.edu>
10 Oct 1998 01:04:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
JLex lookup table too large aduncan@cs.ucsb.edu (aduncan) (1998-10-07)
Re: JLex (and JavaCUP) lookup table too large aduncan@cs.ucsb.edu (aduncan) (1998-10-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: aduncan <aduncan@cs.ucsb.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Oct 1998 01:04:13 -0400

All:

OK, shame on me for only perfunctorily looking at the release Web site
for JLex. One of my own colleagues posted a fix for this, and it does
work. Although I am still interested in how to reduce table size by
juggling the lexicon or the order of its definitions.

AND ... Now I have the same problem with JavaCUP! It seems to me this
should have come to light before, but perhaps older versions of the
JDK weren't so strict about the 64K size limit on methods (which,
N.B., includes the code emitted to initialize static arrays). So
... any suggestions about reducing LALR (yecch!) parse tables by
rearranging grammars?

Meanwhile I'll see if I can apply the JLex fix to JavaCUP.

Andrew Duncan
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~aduncan