Re: Intermediate Language Design?

Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@cygnus.com>
7 Oct 1998 23:05:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Intermediate Language Design? felixmish@usa.net (Felix Mish) (1998-10-06)
Re: Intermediate Language Design? fs29@rummelplatz.uni-mannheim.de (1998-10-07)
Re: Intermediate Language Design? etienne_gagnon@my-dejanews.com (1998-10-07)
Re: Intermediate Language Design? dwight@pentasoft.com (1998-10-07)
Re: Intermediate Language Design? vmakarov@cygnus.com (Vladimir Makarov) (1998-10-07)
Re: Intermediate Language Design? pjk@bcs.org.uk (Peter Knaggs) (1998-10-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@cygnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Oct 1998 23:05:59 -0400

Felix Mish wrote:

> I am implementing a simple interpreter. I plan to separate the parsing
> and interpreting process. The source files are treated by the parser
> and generate a binary form intermediate language. The interpreter take
> the binary intermediate language and interprets it.

You could look at juice project. Its IL is so called slim binary
(compressed abstract trees). Another interesting thing is that the IL
is more compact than compressed sources or executables or java byte
code. The scheme of juice work is quite unusual

SOURCE FILE

|Parser| ==>Slim binary ==>generator+optimizer+execution

You can find information about slim binary and juice on

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~franz

Vlad Makarov, Gcc software engineer, Cygnus Soultions
http://visitweb.com/vmakarov