Re: ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ?

Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?= <Marko.Makela@HUT.FI>
6 Oct 1998 15:23:47 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ? depreter@helios.iihe.ac.be (Marc De Preter) (1998-10-05)
Re: ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ? Marko.Makela@HUT.FI (Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?=) (1998-10-06)
Re: ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ? rsi@lucent.com (Rajappa Iyer) (1998-10-10)
Re: ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ? Marko.Makela@HUT.FI (Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?=) (1998-10-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?= <Marko.Makela@HUT.FI>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Oct 1998 15:23:47 -0400

>>>>> "Marc" == Marc De Preter <depreter@helios.iihe.ac.be> writes:

Marc> Hi I think the subject says it all ... I'm looking for an ASN.1
Marc> (Abstract Syntax Notation One) grammar for bison (or yacc) based
Marc> on ITU's X680. I'm in fact only interested in a parser, so no
Marc> code-generation is needed.

As my Master's Thesis, I am working on a compiler that translates SDL
and ASN.1 definitions to high-level Petri Nets, to be formally
analyzed. The ASN.1 parser part is working quite well, including
semantic analysis. It doesn't support the classes and objects of
ASN.1, because it would involve changing the grammar on the fly,
during parsing. The compiler and the analyzer will be published under
GPL when it is finished (sometime next year I suppose). You can ask
me for the current version of the ASN.1 parser.

Marc> So I hope someone knows a free implementation of this grammar
Marc> ... otherwise, I'll have to implement it by myself :-{

If you are going to support the ASN.1 classes and objects (with
user-defineable syntax), I wish you good luck! If you can publish the
work under GPL, then I think we could co-operate.

Best regards,

Marko Mäkelä
Theoretical Computer Science Laboratory
Helsinki University of Technology