Re: Year 2000 and C Compiler

zalman@netcom.com (Zalman Stern)
4 Oct 1998 00:47:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Year 2000 and C Compiler Libserv3-Ocisi.FranceTelecom@wanadoo.fr (ocisi3) (1998-10-01)
Re: Year 2000 and C Compiler tuahanj@cs.curtin.edu.au (1998-10-04)
Re: Year 2000 and C Compiler zalman@netcom.com (1998-10-04)
Re: Year 2000 and C Compiler rkrayhawk@aol.com (1998-10-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: zalman@netcom.com (Zalman Stern)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Oct 1998 00:47:40 -0400

The moderator wrote:
: [I would be surprised if any C compilers had Y2K problems other than
: perhaps cosmetic errors in listing files, but I could easily imagine
: that the date conversion routines in the library could be
: buggy. -John]

I expect many C compiler vendors have already had to provide Y2K
compliance forms to various customers (e.g. government agencies). (If
you don't know what I'm talking about, be thankful. Very thankful...)
The only thing I can think of that would be in one is "Our expansion
of the __DATE__ macro produces correct dates into the next century."

On the other hand, it makes for a great opportunity to have the vendor
explain that while Y2K is covered just fine, the phase of the moon
calculator used in some of the advanced optimization routines has long
term stability problems which may result in (even more) unpredictable
behavior in 500 years or so...

-Z-