Re: debugging optimized code

Michael Ross <>
24 Sep 1998 00:23:51 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[2 earlier articles]
Re: Debugging optimized code (Ralph Johnson) (1990-07-30)
Re: Debugging optimized code (1990-07-30)
Re: Debugging optimized code (1990-07-31)
debugging optimized code (Caroline Tice) (1998-09-18)
Re: debugging optimized code (Steve Simmons) (1998-09-22)
Re: debugging optimized code (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1998-09-24)
Re: debugging optimized code (Michael Ross) (1998-09-24)
Re: debugging optimized code (Pierre Mai) (1998-10-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael Ross <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Sep 1998 00:23:51 -0400

Steve Simmons wrote:
> Convex released a commercially available debugger in '91. A paper was
> presented at ACM SIGPLAN PLDI in June '92. It has good bibliography
> in the back. Lotsa more recent papers like to refer to this one
> paper.
> BTW, I am one of the authors ;-) And yes, I do flip to the back on any
> paper about debugging optimized code to check to see if it is
> referenced (simple vanity)...

Max Copperman published a paper in TOPLAS on debugging optimized code.
And though we never published, if you can find an old Apollo Domain
system with sr9.5 or later, its debugger did a fair job of debugging
optimized code, in the presence of inlining, and most standard global
optimizations. Didn't have to deal with scheduling much for the 68k
architecture, though. -- __

Mike Ross
MicroComputer Software Labs
5350 N.E. Elam Young Parkway
Intel Corp.
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124

For information about Intel FORTRAN and VTUNE:

For information about EPC FORTRAN 90: