Re: LALR(1) Lookahead calculation

sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber \[Mr. Preprocessor\])
22 Sep 1998 01:20:48 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LALR(1) Lookahead calculation chrish@3drealms.com (1998-09-18)
Re: LALR(1) Lookahead calculation cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1998-09-22)
Re: LALR(1) Lookahead calculation sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (1998-09-22)
Re: LALR(1) Lookahead calculation corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (1998-09-24)
Re: LALR(1) Lookahead calculation dick@cs.vu.nl (1998-09-26)
Re: LALR(1) Lookahead calculation cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1998-09-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber \[Mr. Preprocessor\])
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Sep 1998 01:20:48 -0400

> Since I'm coming from a different standpoint (calculating the
> generators on demand as node-driven state machines which will remain
> in memory while the generator is used), is there a more simplistic
> alternative to these algorithms? Worst case scenario I'll go ahead
> and mimic the pregenerated case and use the algorithm in [Aho], but I
> wanted to know if recent literature addressed any newer methods
> tailored to this scenario (i.e. all information accessible to the
> parser generator is accessible to the parser itself). It's not a
> common case, so my search so far has been to little avail.

Here are references to some very fast algorithms:

@article{DeRemerPennello1982,
    title="Efficient Computation of {LALR}(1) Look-Ahead Sets",
    author="Frank DeRemer and Thomas Pennello",
    pages="615--649",
    journal=toplas,
    year=1982,
    month=oct,
    volume=4,
    number=4
}

@Article{ParkChoe1987,
    author = "Joseph C.H. Park and Kwang-Moo Choe",
    title = "Remarks on Recent Algorithms for {LALR} Lookahead Sets",
    journal = sigplan,
    year = 1987,
    volume = 22,
    number = 4,
    pages = "30--32",
    month = "April"
}

@article{ParkChoeChang1985,
    title="A New Analysis of {LALR} Formalisms",
    author="Joseph C. H. Park and K. M. Choe and C. H. Chang",
    pages="159--175",
    journal=toplas,
    year=1985,
    month=jan,
    volume=7,
    number=1
}

@Article{Ives1986,
    author = "Fred Ives",
    title = "Unifying View of recent {LALR(1)} Lookahead Set Algorithms",
    journal = sigplan,
    year = 1986,
    volume = 21,
    number = 7,
    pages = "131--135",
    month = "July",
    note = "Proceedings of the SIGPLAN'86 Symposium on Compiler Construction"
}

@Article{Ives1987,
    author = "Fred Ives",
    title = "Response to Remarks on Recent Algorithms for {LALR} Lookahead Sets",
    journal = sigplan,
    year = 1987,
    volume = 22,
    number = 8,
    pages = "99--104",
    month = "August"
}

@UNPUBLISHED{Ives1987-lalr,
    author = "Fred Ives",
    title = "An {LALR(1)} Lookahead Set Algorithm",
    note = "Unpublished manuscript",
    year = 1987
}

-- =

Cheers =8-} Mike
Friede, V=F6lkerverst=E4ndigung und =FCberhaupt blabla