Comparing 2 programs...

Gerald Strout <gpstrout@uncc.edu>
22 Sep 1998 01:17:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Comparing 2 programs... gpstrout@uncc.edu (Gerald Strout) (1998-09-22)
Re: Comparing 2 programs... Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr (Xavier Leroy) (1998-09-22)
Re: Comparing 2 programs... karlcz@ISI.EDU (Karl Czajkowski) (1998-09-22)
Re: Code similarity. (Was: Comparing 2 programs...) zalman@netcom.com (1998-09-22)
Re: Code similarity. (Was: Comparing 2 programs...) dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1998-09-24)
Re: Code similarity. (Was: Comparing 2 programs...) thetick@magelang.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1998-09-26)
Re: Comparing 2 programs... bediger@teal.csn.net (Bruce Ediger) (1998-09-26)

From: Gerald Strout <gpstrout@uncc.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Sep 1998 01:17:56 -0400

Hey all,

        I know this is an old question that has been asked for years and
years. My problem is that I have to make my own program grader for C
and C++ programs in a unix environment. This isn't the hard part, the
part that I can't get any info on is a program that can compare 2
programs. I need two types of comparison programs. One type of
program is a program that can compare content, I know, there is
probrably a command in unix for this, but I have no clue what it is.
I also need a program that will compare structure. I know Berkeley
and others have made one, but I can't find it for the life of me. If
any of you can please help me out, that'll be cool.

Gerald Strout
[There are text comparison programs, but if there's something that can
tell you how similar two independently written programs are, it's news
to me. -John]