Re: [Help] Endian Problem

zalman@netcom.com (Zalman Stern)
18 Sep 1998 23:16:42 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[Help] Endian Problem rheeys@camars.kaist.ac.kr (Yunseok Rhee) (1998-09-13)
Re: [Help] Endian Problem mtew@cds.duke.edu (Max TenEyck Woodbury) (1998-09-18)
Re: [Help] Endian Problem meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1998-09-18)
Re: [Help] Endian Problem zalman@netcom.com (1998-09-18)
Re: [Help] Endian Problem albaugh@agames.com (1998-09-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: zalman@netcom.com (Zalman Stern)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Sep 1998 23:16:42 -0400

Yunseok Rhee (rheeys@camars.kaist.ac.kr) wrote:
: Conseqently, if any, I want to know how to generate the little-endian
: executables in MIPS machines. Though it is impossible, please let me
: know if you have any other idea with the problem.

Generating little-endian executables from complete sources on a MIPS
machine is not impossible as most MIPS compilers support either
byte-order. (Or at least did in the early 90's. I expect GCC and the
MIPSPro ones still do.) The feature is there to allow cross-compiling
for little-endian MIPS platforms (e.g. embedded systems, OS ports,
etc.) This probably won't help you if you have to use existing
binaries (e.g. commercial apps) or have code that depends on
big-endian OS source.

For example, if you just need MIPS executables from complete sources
and don't have fixed compiler requirements, you could build a
little-endian MIPS cross compile version of the GNU tool chain for the
x86 system and do quite well.

-Z-