Re: exception handling and optimization papers?

jls@sco.com (Jonathan Schilling)
18 Sep 1998 23:10:17 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
exception handling and optimization papers? sreedhar@ccl.CS.McGill.CA (V.C. SREEDHAR) (1998-08-22)
Re: exception handling and optimization papers? chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1998-08-24)
Re: exception handling and optimization papers? mrs@kithrup.com (1998-08-24)
RE: exception handling and optimization papers? NandakumarS@bsquare.com (Nandakumar Sankaran) (1998-08-25)
Re: exception handling and optimization papers? dlmoore@molalla.net (David L Moore) (1998-08-25)
Re: exception handling and optimization papers? bill@amber.ssd.csd.harris.com (1998-08-30)
Re: exception handling and optimization papers? jason@cygnus.com (Jason Merrill) (1998-09-05)
Re: exception handling and optimization papers? jls@sco.com (1998-09-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jls@sco.com (Jonathan Schilling)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Sep 1998 23:10:17 -0400

Jason Merrill <jason@cygnus.com> writes on 1998-09-05:
> [The August 98 SIGPLAN Notices article "Optimizing Away C++ Exception
> Handling"] essentially deals with the obvious (though not yet ubiquitous)
> optimization of using throw() specs to determine that a call will not throw,
> and removing exception regions that don't contain anything that can throw.

As the humble author of the paper in question, I concur with your
assessment that the techniques involved are not quite revolutionary
:-) The paper also gives some hard numbers for EH overhead due to one
compiler (SCO's) for a bunch of publicly available sources - I found
such hard numbers very rare in the available literature. Lastly I
instrumented all the sources to use throw()'s - since few if any
existing sources use it - to see whether that allowed the compiler to
generate better code (the answer was, sometimes).

--
Jonathan Schilling SCO, Inc. jls@sco.com