Re: Tree Parsing

Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@cygnus.com>
18 Sep 1998 23:02:23 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tree Parsing mah@Colorado.edu (Haibing Ma) (1998-09-13)
Re: Tree Parsing vmakarov@cygnus.com (Vladimir Makarov) (1998-09-18)
Re: Tree Parsing chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1998-09-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@cygnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Sep 1998 23:02:23 -0400

Haibing Ma wrote:
> I'm looking for some program for tree parsing. BURG is good, but the
> only problem is it's restricted to binary tree. Does anybody know any
> tree parsing program which has no such restriction?

COCOM tool set contains generator generator NONA which can work on DAG
(not only on trees). It is convenient to use it for code selection
after CSE. But Nona uses approach IBURG (dynamic programming during
run-time not during generation time as BURG). As the result you can
use constraints for description of the patterns (BURG & IBURG do not
use the constraints). Although it is possible to implement pattern
matcher for patterns with constraints based on dynamic programming
during generation time (as BURG), I don't know such implementation and
what size of the pattern matcher will be in this case. You can find
COCOM tool set on

http://visitweb.com/cocom

Constraints also can be used in Gentle but it works on trees.

Vladimir Makarov