Re: HLL for dsp compiler?

Brent Kimberley <bkimberl@uoguelph.ca>
1 Sep 1998 22:16:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
HLL for dsp compiler? kent.stenman@emw.ericsson.se (Kent Stenman) (1998-08-30)
Re: HLL for dsp compiler? dwight@pentasoft.com (1998-08-31)
Re: HLL for dsp compiler? jan_guffens@frontierd.com (Jan Guffens) (1998-08-31)
Re: HLL for dsp compiler? grant.griffin@iowegian.com (Grant Griffin) (1998-08-31)
Re: HLL for dsp compiler? jamz@my-dejanews.com (1998-08-31)
Re: HLL for dsp compiler? bkimberl@uoguelph.ca (Brent Kimberley) (1998-09-01)
Re: HLL for dsp compiler? jyavins@erols.com (Jerry Avins) (1998-09-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Brent Kimberley <bkimberl@uoguelph.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Sep 1998 22:16:28 -0400

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Dwight VandenBerghe wrote:

> On 30 Aug 1998 10:19:53 -0400, Kent Stenman
> <kent.stenman@emw.ericsson.se> wrote:
> >My question is which language is the best front-end language for dsp
> >compilers?
>
> This is a tough call, Kent. There are a number of problems with
> current languages and DSPs - having separate address spaces (like A nd
> B for the Motorola chips), having extremely fast and tight
> instructions that are designed to be used in specific ways, like the
> multiply-and-adds that overlap, and the special REPEAT instructions
> that do the next single instruction a given number of times using only
> one cycle each. These are not things that can be easily seen or
> optimized by a compiler for FORTRAN or C or Pascal or Limbo or Ada.
>
> I've been thinking about the problem for a while, with the intention
> of writing a DSP compiler that would out-perform the current offerings
> (Archelon, etc). I think the solution is to design a new, C-like
> language that caters to the anomalies of the DSP world. I'm working
> on it. Are you? Should we talk?

My professor has been working on an optimizing retargetable DSP compiler
called codegen(T). It uses a varient of C as the front end, and
employs enhanced genetic algorithms to select feasible solutions based on
the program, DSP architecture and timing constraints. For more
information take a look at http://shakti.cis.uoguelph.ca

Regards,

Brent