Re: Tech info on JIT compilers (especially for Java)

William Cohen <>
31 Aug 1998 03:22:27 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tech info on JIT compilers (especially for Java) (Anthon Voigt) (1998-08-30)
Re: Tech info on JIT compilers (especially for Java) (William Cohen) (1998-08-31)
Re: Tech info on JIT compilers (especially for Java) (1998-08-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: William Cohen <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 Aug 1998 03:22:27 -0400

Anthon Voigt wrote:
> I'm implementing a JITcompiler for Java on a 8051, but so far I've had
> trouble finding technical info on JIT compilers. Could anyone refer me
> to a good book on the subject, or articles or a webpage.

I made a presentation for our research group about Just-In-Time (JIT)
compilation last fall. The slides from the presentation are available
at It is
meant as an introduction to the subject and does not go into great

You might broaden your search and look at the binary-to-binary
translators, e.g. FX!32 (i86->alpha)
( by DEC and Embra
( Many of the techniques used in
these binary-to-binary translators are applicable to generating
high-performance Java Virtual Machines.

On a 8051 you might be a bit tight on space to implement a JIT
(assuming a 16-bit address space). Good luck.

--Will Cohen

      William Cohen
      Assistant Professor
      Electrical and Computer Engineering
      College of Engineering
      University of Alabama in Huntsville voice: 256/890-6830
      Huntsville, AL 35899 fax: 256/890-6803
      ECE Homepage: