RE: exception handling and optimization papers?

Nandakumar Sankaran <>
25 Aug 1998 13:23:20 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
exception handling and optimization papers? sreedhar@ccl.CS.McGill.CA (V.C. SREEDHAR) (1998-08-22)
RE: exception handling and optimization papers? (Nandakumar Sankaran) (1998-08-25)
Re: exception handling and optimization papers? (Jason Merrill) (1998-09-05)
Re: exception handling and optimization papers? (1998-09-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nandakumar Sankaran <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Aug 1998 13:23:20 -0400

This seems to be a pretty nascent area. I remember looking for papers
on this topic sometime back, when I was interested in improving our
compiler. I came back with pretty much nothing but Hennessy's
paper. The August 98 issue of SIGPLAN Notices carries an article on
"Optimizing away C++ Exceptions". I haven't read the article yet but
scanning the bibliography, there seem to be a couple of papers I might
be interested in digging up.

Cameron, D., P. Faust, D. Lenkov and M.Mehta, "A Portable Implementation
of C++ Exception Handling", Proc. USENIX C++ Conference, August 92.

Chase, D., "Implementation of exception handling-I", Journal of C
Language Translation, Vol 5, No 4, June 94. Part II appeared in the
september '94 issue. Details available at

Lajoie, J., "Exception Handling - supporting the runtime mechanism", C++
Report, Vol.6, No. 3, March-April 94. Another article appeared in the
Jan 96 issue.

Nandakumar Sankaran