Re: numerical methods sources

David Chase <>
24 Aug 1998 13:23:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1998-08-10)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs darcy@usul.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1998-08-13)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs (Andrew Fitzgibbon) (1998-08-20)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs (Ray Dillinger) (1998-08-22)
Re: numerical methods sources (David Chase) (1998-08-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David Chase <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Aug 1998 13:23:32 -0400

Ray Dillinger wrote:

> What are some good books on numerical methods for compiler writers?

> Incidentally, I'm with John on this one; I do most of my serious
> numerical work in languages that support extended-precision numerics,
> just because I don't want 'em to crash when some number geos outside
> what its "reasonable" range seems to be today.

> [I can tell you what the standard books were fifteen years ago, but let's
> see if anyone has something more recent than Cody and Waite. -John]

A good place to start on the Web is David Hough's home page,

Included there is a copy of

    What Every Computer Scientist Should Know about Floating-Point
    by David Goldberg, as supplemented by Doug Priest, in postscript.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. It doesn't hurt to take a few classes
in numerical analysis.

David Chase
NaturalBridge LLC