Re: Game scripting continues

Martin.Ward@SMLtd.Com (Martin Ward)
16 Aug 1998 22:40:53 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Game scripting continues (1998-08-13)
Re: Game scripting continues Martin.Ward@SMLtd.Com (1998-08-16)
Re: Game scripting continues (1998-08-17)
Re: Game scripting continues (1998-08-19)
Re: Game scripting continues (Olivier Lefevre) (1998-08-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Martin.Ward@SMLtd.Com (Martin Ward)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Aug 1998 22:40:53 -0400

> [Writing a C++ compiler is indeed nuts. Writing a preprocessor that lets
> you embed scripts in your C++ and massages them into calls to the script
> processor is doable and sometimes not a bad idea. But if he wants to have
> a compatible compiler and interpreter, that pretty much limits you to
> Common Lisp which is a wonderful language but hardly lightweight. I'd
> point out that the scripts are supposed to be fast enough that you don't
> need to compile them. -John]

There's also Scheme, which is "lighter" than Common Lisp with a
compatible compiler and interpreter. I use the Hobbit compiler
to compile Scheme to (fast) C code, if I hit a problem I re-run
the program under the Gambit Scheme interpreter which is 12 times
slower but has nice debugging facilities. Latest scm Scheme and slib Latest Hobbit Scheme compiler Latest Gambit system

Martin Erdos number: 4
Maintainer of the G.K.Chesterton web site:
[Good point, I'd forgotten about Hobbit. -John]