Re: Linking scripts and interpreters into an executable

bob@netwrench.com (Bob McWhirter)
13 Aug 1998 21:58:17 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Linking scripts and interpreters into an executable jkahrs@castor.atlas.de (Juergen Kahrs) (1998-07-30)
Re: Linking scripts and interpreters into an executable rpereda@ringer.cs.utsa.edu (Ray Pereda) (1998-08-10)
Re: Linking scripts and interpreters into an executable Juergen.Kahrs@t-online.de (1998-08-10)
Re: Linking scripts and interpreters into an executable bob@netwrench.com (1998-08-13)
Re: Linking scripts and interpreters into an executable dan@control.com (1998-08-13)
Re: Linking scripts and interpreters into an executable aeb@saltfarm.bt.co.uk (Tony Bass) (1998-08-16)
Re: Linking scripts and interpreters into an executable jkahrs@castor.atlas.de (Juergen Kahrs) (1998-08-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: bob@netwrench.com (Bob McWhirter)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Aug 1998 21:58:17 -0400

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Juergen Kahrs wrote:
>> not have an option for (statically) linking scripts (shell, AWK, Perl)
>> together with their interpreters into an executable.
>> Does anyone know of a linker which can do this ?

Ray Pereda mumbled something about
RP> I have not seen explicit support for this kind of feature but I think
RP> it is much needed. Most executable file formats have a non-executable,
RP> non-program data section. I would dump the script in there.

I'm sorry that I don't have URLs handy, but you can probably find it
all from www.scriptics.com, but...

There are several tools available for linking both a tcl interpreter
and a script together into an executable.

Tcl, from the start, though, has always had nice hooks to be used from
C, which make parsing arbitrary text fairly easy.

I haven't look at sources for sh or ksh or other scripty things, but
I'd imagine they could be easily munged into a single call to parse a
string.

Also, if you turn the problem inside out, couldn't just about any
language that provides an embedded context (tcl, perl, python) be
linked together with the necessary libs to produce an executable?

Just my 2 bits.

-Bob

--
Bob McWhirter