Re: Project suggestion svp.

philh@vision25.demon.co.uk (Phil Hunt)
10 Aug 1998 10:14:33 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Project suggestion svp. s9410805@student.up.ac.za (1998-08-05)
Re: Project suggestion svp. dwight@pentasoft.com (1998-08-10)
Re: Project suggestion svp. jamz@my-dejanews.com (1998-08-10)
Re: Project suggestion svp. ruoccos@comm2000.it (Sergio Ruocco) (1998-08-10)
Re: Project suggestion svp. philh@vision25.demon.co.uk (1998-08-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: philh@vision25.demon.co.uk (Phil Hunt)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Aug 1998 10:14:33 -0400

                      s9410805@student.up.ac.za "Etienne Marais" writes:
> Does anybody have any suggestions as to which (source) language I
> should choose for a compiler project. I'm considering to use java (and
> javacc) for the development of the compiler itself, and the java
> virtual machine as target. The source language can be anything not to
> difficult but interesting and useful enough to distribute the final
> compiler as freeware.

Java and JavaCC sound like a reasonable choice to me. If you go this
route, you might consider making your compiler able to output Java
source code as well as JVM bytecodes; the advantages would be:
(1) Java source code is easier to understand, (2) you could run
the Java source code through javadoc to produce appropriate
documentation.

Another possiblity would be C++/yacc/lex. A compiler written in
C++ is likely to run faster than one written in Java, but Java is
probably slightly easier to code in, and is more portable.

--
Phil Hunt