Re: Project suggestion svp.

dwight@pentasoft.com (Dwight VandenBerghe)
10 Aug 1998 10:10:20 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Project suggestion svp. s9410805@student.up.ac.za (1998-08-05)
Re: Project suggestion svp. dwight@pentasoft.com (1998-08-10)
Re: Project suggestion svp. jamz@my-dejanews.com (1998-08-10)
Re: Project suggestion svp. ruoccos@comm2000.it (Sergio Ruocco) (1998-08-10)
Re: Project suggestion svp. philh@vision25.demon.co.uk (1998-08-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dwight@pentasoft.com (Dwight VandenBerghe)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Aug 1998 10:10:20 -0400

On 5 Aug 1998 22:23:33 -0400, s9410805@student.up.ac.za (Etienne
Marais) wrote:

>Does anybody have any suggestions as to which (source) language I
>should choose for a compiler project. I'm considering to use java (and
>javacc) for the development of the compiler itself, and the java
>virtual machine as target. The source language can be anything not to
>difficult but interesting and useful enough to distribute the final
>compiler as freeware.

You might have a little more fun if you used Pizza, the functional
Java superset, for your compiler instead of straight Java.

The world could use a good Limbo-to-JVM compiler. Limbo is a
nice, clean language with IPC primitives, designed by Dennis
Ritchie for Lucent's Inferno OS. It's a small language, not
too many tricks, has Unicode strings and needs garbage collection.
In other words, it's a lot like Java, but smaller and tighter.

Dwight