Re: Will C++ compilers ever be better than C compilers?

mrs@kithrup.com (Mike Stump)
10 Aug 1998 10:09:15 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Will C++ compilers ever be better than C compilers? chase@naturalbridge.com (David Chase) (1998-08-03)
Re: Will C++ compilers ever be better than C compilers? terryg@uswest.net (1998-08-04)
Re: Will C++ compilers ever be better than C compilers? mayan@watson.ibm.com (1998-08-04)
Re: Will C++ compilers ever be better than C compilers? chase@naturalbridge.com (David Chase) (1998-08-04)
Re: Will C++ compilers ever be better than C compilers? sandy.harris@sympatico.ca (1998-08-04)
Re: Will C++ compilers ever be better than C compilers? mrs@kithrup.com (1998-08-10)
Re: Will C++ compilers ever be better than C compilers? toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) (1998-08-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mrs@kithrup.com (Mike Stump)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Aug 1998 10:09:15 -0400

Daniel Villeneuve <danielv@crt.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>mayan@watson.ibm.com (Mayan Moudgill) writes:
>
>Besides considering the practical aspects of compiler implementation,
>there are also aspects of the C++ language that might affect the way a
>C++ compiler deals with C-like code.

>Doesn't this paragraph imply that a C++ compiler is more constrained
>that a C compiler when dealing with complex expressions, even if such
>expressions only contain C constructs?

Nope, not really. Additional sequence points for things like new and
converstion function can't affect C style code, as C style code
neither has nor uses new, or converstion functions.

For the others, the as-if rule in C++ and in C, ensures that almost
all remaining differences turn out to be insignificant or 0. Do you
have an example of something that necessarily is slower in c++? Our
(ANSI/ISO C++) intent wasn't to create a difference, though it may be
possible to find one. Even if one is managed to be found, the
performance impact will turn out to be trivial.