Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits?

albaugh@agames.com (Mike Albaugh)
31 Jul 1998 10:50:17 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits? jhardin@wolfenet.com (1998-07-30)
Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits? albaugh@agames.com (1998-07-31)
Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1998-07-31)
Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits? toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) (1998-08-02)
Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits? dlmoore@pgroup.com (David L Moore) (1998-08-02)
Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits? pizka@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (1998-08-03)
Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits? fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1998-08-04)
Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits? bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (1998-08-10)

From: albaugh@agames.com (Mike Albaugh)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 Jul 1998 10:50:17 -0400

John D. Hardin (jhardin@wolfenet.com) wrote:
: This has been redirected to comp.compilers from the bugtraq list at the
: suggestion of one of the correspondents. Does anybody here wish to comment
: on the idea that I have proposed, namely: modifying GCC/PGCC/etc. to use a
: second stack or other memory area for storing local variables away from the
: stack where return addresses are stored, as a way to prevent
: smash-the-stack buffer overflow exploits?

Unless gcc had changed a great deal since I last messed with it
(1.40 or so), teaching it any new tricks about the stack are going to
be painful in the extreme. Of course, the C language does not actually
require that there _be_ a stack, let alone one that grows downward
from high memory, contains both locals and return addresses, has
a frame-pointer that points _between_ the locals and the parameters,
(my personal hell was trying to dis-abuse gcc of that notion) and so
forth, but just try to tell gcc that. Yeah, I know about the
#defines, what I also know is that not everything that deals with the
stack pays any attention to them :-) Not that the suggestion would
be impossible, just a whole lotta pain for what gain?

I'd also second the moderators comment:

: [This isn't a band-aid I'd endorse. If you want to fix your programs,
: fix them, or better write them in a language that doesn't have those
: holes. -John]

as I haven't had a stack-smash in ages. Of course, I don't
use gets or scanf...

Mike