Re: Event friendly parser generator

Chris Dodd <chrisd@etcons.com>
27 Jul 1998 23:16:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Event friendly parser generator gorelick@asu.edu (1998-07-27)
Re: Event friendly parser generator chrisd@etcons.com (Chris Dodd) (1998-07-27)
Re: Event friendly parser generator qjackson@wave.home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1998-07-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris Dodd <chrisd@etcons.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Jul 1998 23:16:46 -0400

gorelick@asu.edu wrote:
> What I'm hoping to find is something that generates a yyparse()
> replacement that will return its state when it runs out of input, so
> the parse can be restarted with the same state when more input (the
> next line) is available.

BTYACC <http://www.siber.com/btyacc> comes with a variant parser
skeleton that does almost does this. Here's an excerpt from the
README file:

:Btyacc supports the -S flag to use a different parser skeleton,
:changing the way that the parser is called and used. The skeleton
:`push.skel' is included to produce a `passive' parser that you feed
:tokens to (rather than having the parser call a seperate yylex
:routine). With push.skel, yyparse is defined as follows:
:
:int yyparse(int token, YYSTYPE yylval)
:
:You should call yyparse repeatedly with successive tokens of input.
:It returns 0 if more input is needed, 1 for a successful parse, and
:-1 for an unrecoverable parse error.

Unfortunately, that's about all the documentation there is for this
`feature'. Being freeware, you get what you pay for...

Chris Dodd
chrisd@reservoir.com