Re: Which target language do I choose?

henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
27 Jul 1998 23:05:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Which target language do I choose? andrew@openkast.com (Andrew Cruickshank) (1998-07-17)
Re: Which target language do I choose? toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) (1998-07-20)
Re: Which target language do I choose? conway@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1998-07-20)
Re: Which target language do I choose? albaugh@agames.com (1998-07-20)
Re: Which target language do I choose? mark@msm.cam.ac.uk (1998-07-24)
Re: Which target language do I choose? cts@bangkok.office.cdsnet.net (1998-07-26)
Re: Which target language do I choose? henry@spsystems.net (1998-07-27)
Re: Which target language do I choose? lkrupp@netONE.com (Louis Krupp) (1998-07-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Jul 1998 23:05:36 -0400

Toon Moene <toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl> wrote:
>> (There are C compilers for many machines that are too small to have
>> floating-point hardware, but not FORTRAN compilers.)
>
>I wouldn't be too sure about this... [FORTRAN on PalmPilot]
>Now, perhaps the PalmPilot *has* floating point support - I don't know - but
>you can't argue with the fact that it's a small machine :-)

The PalmPilot is *physically* small, but there's actually quite a bit of
hardware crammed into there. The first Unix FORTRAN compilers were
written on machines with slower CPUs and less memory than the PalmPilot.
If memory serves, the CPU inside a PalmPilot is a 68000, so there's no FP
hardware. But it's the same basic CPU architecture that was used in a lot
of larger systems, many of which do/did have FP hardware.

There are C compilers for Microchip's PIC line of microcontrollers, and
for similarly minute machines -- small in capabilities, not just in
physical size.
--
Henry Spencer henry@spsystems.net
(aka henry@zoo.toronto.edu)