Register Allocation and Aliasing in C

Atanas Rountev <rountev@cs.rutgers.edu>
20 Jul 1998 17:02:08 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Register Allocation and Aliasing in C rountev@cs.rutgers.edu (Atanas Rountev) (1998-07-20)
Re: Register Allocation and Aliasing in C bob.morgan@digital.com (1998-07-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Atanas Rountev <rountev@cs.rutgers.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Jul 1998 17:02:08 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to evaluate the benefits of precise and expensive alias
analysis for C in terms of the impact it has on register allocation. I
am having a hard time finding papers that describe how people deal
with register allocation for C with its unrestricted use of pointers.
Most of the papers I've seen are FORTRAN oriented and the aliasing
issues there are different from the ones for C.

I would really appreciate any pointers to published papers.

Thanks,

Atanas