Re: Yacc grammar for HTML/XML/WML

"Quinn Tyler Jackson" <>
11 Jul 1998 23:43:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Yacc grammar for HTML/XML/WML (Terry Robinson) (1998-07-10)
Re: Yacc grammar for HTML/XML/WML (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1998-07-11)
Re: Yacc grammar for HTML/XML/WML (1998-07-13)
Re: Yacc grammar for HTML/XML/WML (Pierre Mai) (1998-07-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Quinn Tyler Jackson" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jul 1998 23:43:29 -0400

Terry Robinson asked:

>Does anyone have a grammar for Yacc/Bison for a real mark-up language
>like HTML or WML (XML needs a document type definition to define a
>language - well normally) or know where one can be gotten ?

>[There's HTML grammars in the various HTML specs, but I don't think they're
>very useful for real web documents since most real HTML is pretty sloppy.

Here's part of the comment header of the HTML grammar to be found at:

// This is an HTML rule file for use with Visual Parse++. It should parse
// just about any HTML file, even ones with errors, ommisions, etc. The
// rule file recogizes all the HTML 3.0 tags, and any others we ran across
// while testing.
// It also recoginzes unknown tags, parameters, and attributes, so you can
// handle the action in your code (or add to this rule file).

Their demo version comes with the grammars for HTML, cpp, c, RTF, SQL,
the C preprocessor, Java, and a calculator.