Re: BANE release

mslamm@olive.mscc.huji.ac.il (Zvi Lamm)
10 Jul 1998 20:54:43 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
BANE release aiken@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1998-07-08)
Re: BANE release mslamm@olive.mscc.huji.ac.il (1998-07-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mslamm@olive.mscc.huji.ac.il (Zvi Lamm)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.functional
Date: 10 Jul 1998 20:54:43 -0400

Alex Aiken (aiken@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU) wrote:
:>The Berkeley program analysis group is pleased to announce a public
:>release of BANE, the Berkeley ANalysis Engine. BANE is a system for
:>constructing type- and constraint-based program analyses.

This thing, as program analysis is general, seems cool.

But can anyone share real life experiences?

I guess the heaviest use for program analysis (both static and dynamic)
going on today is for Y2K purposes. However most of the apporaches I saw
tend to be relatively "low-tech", and are basically efforts at hacking the
legacy code with as little understanding of it as possible by the
automatic transformation engine. It would seem that now is the right time
for this field to show its real strengths.

By the way, the same reasoning would lead you to expect more work on
decompiling - since, unfortunately many working systems are eithout
available source code... :-)

--
Ehud Lamm mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il