User definable operators again

Robert Zierer <>
8 Jul 1998 01:41:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
User definable operators again (Robert Zierer) (1998-07-08)
Re: User definable operators again (Norman Ramsey) (1998-07-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robert Zierer <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Jul 1998 01:41:38 -0400

Does anyone have information (implementations, algorithms) on how to
scann, parse and transform to AST an (mathematical,...) expression
(e.g. 'a+b*-c++ - d+e') where the operators (all forms: prefix, postfix,
binary infix, brackets AND ternary) can be defined (with name,
precedence and associativity) at compiletime. A compiler that is able to
do this is - I think - Cecil; it was mentioned earlier (1996 or so ) in
this newsgroup under
'user defineable operators' :

(I know the book of Aho et. al., where one method using a table is
mentioned. )

Thank you.
Robert Zierer