Re: AIX Linker Question: Symbol and garbage removal at link time?

fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson)
3 Jul 1998 00:41:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
AIX Linker Question: Symbol and garbage removal at link time? wcl@risc.sps.mot.com (Wayne Long) (1998-07-01)
Re: AIX Linker Question: Symbol and garbage removal at link time? fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1998-07-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Jul 1998 00:41:35 -0400

Wayne Long <wcl@risc.sps.mot.com> writes:
>[ strip shrank my objects by 100K ]
>My question is, instead of using strip, aren't there options on the
>AIX compiler to do the same thing? I am wondering why these options
>aren't the default?

This is a good question. Many compilers do have a `strip' option,
e.g. with gcc it is `-s', but for some reason it is not the default,
even if you don't specify `-g' during linking.

For the Mercury implementation, I made it pass the appropriate options
to the linker to build a stripped executable by default, unless you
explicitly specified `-g' or `--no-strip'.
No-one has ever complained about this.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>