Re: MACRO PROCESSOR (and Re: writing an assembler!)

Phil Budne <>
1 Jul 1998 22:49:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
MACRO PROCESSOR (PAtrick COhen) (1998-06-27)
Re: MACRO PROCESSOR (John Lindsay) (1998-06-28)
Re: MACRO PROCESSOR (and Re: writing an assembler!) (Phil Budne) (1998-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Phil Budne <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Jul 1998 22:49:54 -0400

John Lindsay <> wrote:
>The second is ye olde ad hoc method, especially if it is implemented
>in a language with a powerful string-processing and data handling
>capability like SNOBOL 4 (get the Spitbol compiler from Catspaw for
>any of a number of platforms, or one of a couple of other SNOBOL
>systems) or Icon (surf to the U. of Arizona -- its free and available
>for several platforms and systems!).

Since SNOBOL came up in two threads in one week;

I've done a free port of the "Macro Implementation of SNOBOL4" that
makes full SNOBOL4 (with many SPITBOL extensions) available on just
about anything that has a C compiler. Not to put down Catspaw
SPITBOL, a professional quality tool (which beats my SNOBOL by a
factor of between 6 and 30 depending on the program), which I used to
bootstrap my system. See my page at

However as much I like using SNOBOL for one-off text processing jobs,
I'd be remiss to not to point out the implementation of a PDP-1
assembler with a macro processor (written to assemble "spacewar" for a
Java PDP-1 simulator) in Perl;