slightly off topic -- writing an assembler!

samuel <SAMIGWE@worldnet.att.net>
24 Jun 1998 00:04:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: slighty off topic -- writing an assembler! kmcguire3413@hotmail.com (Leonard Kevin McGuire Jr.) (2006-07-16)
slightly off topic -- writing an assembler! SAMIGWE@worldnet.att.net (samuel) (1998-06-24)
Re: slightly off topic -- writing an assembler! khays@sequent.com (1998-06-24)
Re: slightly off topic -- writing an assembler! jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1998-06-25)
Re: slightly off topic -- writing an assembler! fs29@rummelplatz.uni-mannheim.de (1998-06-25)
Re: slightly off topic -- writing an assembler! nnylfv@ny.ubs.com (Olivier Lefevre) (1998-06-25)
Re: writing an assembler! lindsay-j@rmc.ca (John Lindsay) (1998-06-27)
Re: writing an assembler! henry@spsystems.net (1998-06-28)

From: samuel <SAMIGWE@worldnet.att.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jun 1998 00:04:30 -0400

Good day all:

I am currently working on writing an assembler (intel syntax
for the x86 microprocessor)for my operating system project. I haven't
yet had any formal training on the design of one and havent been able
to find any "assembler design" books.

My questions:

What are the steps an assembler takes during its pass(es)?

How is the mnemonic/opcode table arranged?

How is the label name and address stored (for later refrences)?

How are strings processed -- meaning which does that assembler search
for first
mnemonics?
labels?
pseudoops?
etc?

What is the average size allocated for local labels (since space for
global labels are variable), such as that used in tasm and masm?

What is the best possible steps to take in order to maximize the amount
of processing of asm source and minimize the amount of time wasted?

Anything else??

thanks for any answers provided for any of the above questions. These
are the only questions that I can think of at the moment.
--
Samuel Igwe
http://home.att.net/~SAMIGWE