Re: Opinions and experiences using LCC Win32

Dennis Ritchie <dmr@bell-labs.com>
11 Jun 1998 16:10:57 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Opinions and experiences using LCC Win32 plowman@springfield.net (1998-05-30)
Re: Opinions and experiences using LCC Win32 jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1998-06-03)
Re: Opinions and experiences using LCC Win32 m.hollder@virgin.net (Mark Hollder) (1998-06-09)
Re: Opinions and experiences using LCC Win32 dmr@bell-labs.com (Dennis Ritchie) (1998-06-11)
Re: Opinions and experiences using LCC Win32 amoroso@mclink.it (1998-06-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Dennis Ritchie <dmr@bell-labs.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jun 1998 16:10:57 -0400

Chris Fraser, then in our group at Bell Labs, forwarded me some mail
(dated 2 Mar 1994) that was sent to the lcc-requests list. I saved it
(and I assume he sent it) because I was his manager at the time. It
was from a guy named John Carmack at a company called ID Software.
Without quoting the whole letter, it said that LCC was neat. He'd
looked at GCC. About LCC, he said

  "I had seen a reference to LCC
    in comp.compilers, so I thought I would check it out....
    Wow. An 11k line ansi compiler. I am impressed.
    The documentation and example code was clearly
    structured, and I got everything generating proper
    code in about three days. A couple more days of
    bug chasing and optimizing, and I have a damn good tool.
    This has saved me SO much time (it was fun, too).

    If the authors are at all into PC games, they can have
    a couple free copies with my compliments!"

As I said, at the time I got the mail, I just saved it. Over the
following summer, the DOOM virus hit our lab, but I didn't make the
mental connection. However, in the fall, as performance review time
approached, I began digging up contributions and found the letter
again. This time the connection clicked, and I sent mail to Carmack
thanking him for his LCC encomium. I rapidly received the ftp
password for gathering the beta DOOM II.

Satisfying interchange for all concerned (though of course a lot of
time was lost to DOOM and followons....)

Dennis